实用场景英语你说对了吗?:大白外教口语天天练
上QQ阅读APP看书,第一时间看更新

Lesson 25 I walked quite a way out,but it was still only about waist deep.我已经走了很远了,(水)还只是齐腰深。

Part 1 Real Life Situation

使用场景

You're at the beach with your family.You've gone in the water and were surprised by how shallow it was.You tell your wife,who hasn't gone in the ocean yet,about it.

你和家人一起去了海滩,你在水里走了很远,发现这里的水并不是很深。于是,你对还在岸上的妻子说:

I walked quite a way out,but it was still only about waist deep.

我已经走了很远了,(水) 还只是齐腰深。

Part 2 Pronunciation and intonation

发音讲解

So,in the sentence,pay attention to the pro-nunciation of these parts.

在这一句中,注意以下部分的发音。

1.Link these words:"quite a" "way out" "but it" "only about".

1.“quite a” “way out” “but it” “only about” 需要连读。

2.Omit these sounds:/t/in "walked",/t/and/z/in "it was still",both/t/sounds in "about waist deep".

2.省略 “walked” 中的/t/音,“it was still” 中的/t/和/z/音;“a-bout waist deep” 中的两个/t/都不发音。

Now,let's focus on tone and intonation.

1.Stress these words:"out" "still" "deep".

现在,我们重点看看语气和语调。

2.Say it with a little bit of surprise in your voice,because you assumed the water would be deeper.

1.重读 “out” “still” 和 “deep”。

2.用一种惊讶的语气来说这句话,因为水可能会越来越深。

Now,practice,and you will learn to say this sentence like a native speaker.

现在,多加练习,你就能学会像英语母语者一样说这句话了。

Part 3 My explanation

英文讲解

The first expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第1个表达是

quite a wayin a direction) (某个方向非常远

This casual expression means "quite far" or"pretty far".You use it with a direction word like one of these:

这种非正式表达的意思是 “有点儿远” 或 “非常远”。可以与方位词连用,例如:

● quite a way up距离上面很远

● quite a way down距离下面很远

● quite a way away很遥远

This sometimes becomes "quite a ways away"in casual speech,although that's ungrammatical.

口语中也可以说 “quite a ways away”,尽管不符合语法规则。

The second expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第2个表达是

wateris waist deep齐腰深

To explain how deep some water is in a pool,ocean,lake,etc.,English speakers sometimes explain what part of their body the water reached to.To do this,they use the expression "…deep".

该表达是用来形容在泳池、海洋、湖泊等水域中水的深度。英语国家的人有时还会用 “…deep” 描述水的深度到达身体某个部位:

Don't be scared.It's only waist deep.

别怕,水只有齐腰深。

Aside from "waist deep",we also use the ex-pressions:

除了齐腰深,类似的还有:

● ankle deep深及脚踝● knee deep深及膝盖

● chest deep深及胸部● neck deep深及脖子

The third expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第3个表达是

outfrom the shore) (离岸边)……

When someone is swimming in the ocean,a lake,etc.,you explain where they are by saying how far "out" they are from the shore.

当某人在海洋、湖泊等地游泳时,你可以用 “…out” (……远) 来说明他们离岸的距离。

She was swimming about twenty yards out and suddenly I saw her start to splash and wave her arms.

她正在大约二十英尺外游泳,突然间,我看到她开始挥动手臂,激起水花飞溅。

You use the same phrase when someone is riding in a boat.

当有人乘船时,你也可以使用这种表达。

To catch the really big fish,you have to go a few miles out.

为了捕获真正的大鱼,你必须开到几英里外去。